Friday, March 5, 2010

Recovering a lamp shade

Our kids share rooms.  It's just a fact.  The Athlete and the Underdog share a room.  I'm casually trying to re-do each room, one room at a time.  At least the basics - curtains, etc.  For their room, they could not agree on a color scheme.  So...we decided to go with black & white, allowing them to each accessorize in the solid color(s) of their choice.  I haven't made the curtains yet, but I did recover their lamp shade.  See below:

 
Here is the lampshade - a little too "little girl" for a 10 & 13 year old

 
Step 1:  I laid the lampshade on its side and traced it onto brown craft paper - rolling it as i went.

 
I used that pattern to cut out the fabric - cut it about a 1/2 inch larger to allow for wrapping around the edge and gluing

 
I started at the seam of the shade and hot-glued along the seam.  I then proceeded to cover the shade with the fabric, hot-gluing at the top and bottom edge.  Go slowly, do a little at a time to keep things even.

 
Here it is before I wrapped and glued the edges of the fabric.

 
After hot-gluing the edges over (my sewing table is a mess...)

 
Another pic of the edges....

 
I then hot-glued the beaded trim around the inside of the bottom edge.  I started at the seam of the shade, just like with the fabric.

 
Voila!  The finished product.  I did not repaint the base as it was white and in good condition.  However, if the girls want, I think any solid color would look good (I am actually thinking of red...but they'll never agree to it! )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. However, comments that are inappropriate or not family-friendly will be deleted.